Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

something funny and uplifting that will restore my faith in life and humanity [books]

 I've been in a book club (with slightly shifting membership) for the past six years or so. It also went from being an in-person book club to one that takes place in Google+ hangouts. It's pretty 21st century.
The glowing orb is our ghost member.
Recently, we decided that instead of reading the same book and then discussing it, we'd create a rotation in which we pick books for each other. So far, the experiment is going swimmingly, but it's a big responsibility, Lucas, and I don't wanna screw it up. My dear friend Latty and I are generally on the same wavelength when it comes to books, but when she asked for something that was funny and uplifting and would also restore her faith in humanity, I was a little stumped. I went through all my Goodreads books and I found a few funny ones here and there, but I tend to like everything I read tinged with existential dread and/or cynicism.

Thus, I did what any 28-year-old social media dependent would do: I took to the twitterverse for suggestions. My friend Juan, a fellow UCSB PhD student bogged down by research, asked that I share the list of suggestions I received so that he could cut his scholarly books with something fun. I figured maybe others might be looking for such a thing as well, so I present to you the list, complete with Goodreads links.


Ready Player One
-
Ernest Cline
This Is Where 
I Leave You
Jonathan Tropper
How To Be
An American Housewife
Margaret Dilloway

The Orphan Master's Son
-
Adam Johnson
ReMIND
-
Jason Brubaker
Blue Remembered
Earth
Alastair Reynolds

Bird By bird
-
Anne Lamott
Flourish
-
Martin E.P. Seligman
Let's Pretend This 
Never Happened
Jenny Lawson

Foreskin's Lament
-
Shalom Auslander
The Disaster Artist

Greg Sestero
The Most of Nora 
Ephron
Nora Ephron

2 comments:

JP said...

I know this is an old old post, but have you read Ready Player One yet?

Corrigan said...

I did! We read it for our podcast book club. Such a fun read. You?