Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

[290] well played, universe

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles! God smiled upon me this day! After yesterday's series of heart wrenching failures, I found myself redeemed. Joy to the world!
While folding laundry at work today, I decided to see what was happening in the Twitterverse. To my amazement, there, in burgundy print on my homepage, was my golden opportunity:
PDX! I'm talking about #Leverage on @TheSquare tonight at 7. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
- @WilW
Why, he may as well have been talking directly to me! I knew what I had to do.
Despite the ever-increasing downpour covering the area, I asked Lisa to drop me off at the MAX, rather than at my nice, warm house. I rode into Pioneer Courthouse Square and sat patiently on the soggy, brick steps, hoping to catch a glimpse. Sure enough, fifteen anxiety-ridden minutes later, he appeared. I would be lying if I said I didn't sit gaping for a moment, unsure of whether I should even approach this royal figure of geekhood. But I did it.
And I fangirled. Hard. There was nothing I could do. I wanted to say something cool or witty, but the only words I could muster - my shoulders shrugged up to my ears in bashfulness - were, "You were my very first crush as a little kid -- mind if I get a picture?"
Well, crap. I might as well have capped it off with, "Lolz." *sigh*
But he was gracious, and most likely well-accustomed to awkward geek worship. The nerd corps assembled to pay homage to the living shrine that is Wil Wheaton were certainly nothing to scoff at on an evening in which the threat of thunderstorms and funnel clouds loomed menacingly over PDX.
This is why there is no other subculture I'd rather be a part of than the geek subculture. It's a happy subculture, built off of a mutual love for something, rather than a mutual disdain. It is a subculture in which our grand poobah is a fairly average 30-something blogger/actor who can roam the streets in relative anonymity, save for the gamers, Trekkies, and web gurus who beg him for a twitpic and a review of the latest RPG. And this somewhat incidental celebrity is more than willing to oblige his fans, as are many of the other geek icons.
I will wave my nerd banner high, my friends! And, while I'm at it, I shall watch an episode of Star Trek on Netflix. Make it so.

Watch me take pics of and otherwise ogle Wil on the air in this vid from KGW.

1 comment:

h. said...

I'm so glad I went. I never would have forgiven myself, hahaha!

it was fun hanging and oggling Wil :D


PS: the captcha is 'troon.' why do I have the overwhelming urge to write
'trooooooooooooooon'? And yes, I added this PS just so I could do that. talk about nerdy. and ridic. or maybe just ridic.