Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

[190] the creative process

One of the many things I like about my fiance is that he doesn't blow smoke. I should be sleeping right now, but I'm caught between writer's block (or is it "writers' block?") and an excessive influx of ideas. This is mostly due to Kyo's delightfully/brutally honest feedback on the story ideas I've been bouncing off of him. Through the process of listening to his criticism, defending my vision, and debating over the general rules and expectations inherent in writing fiction, I end up with a plethora of thoughts as to why either he's right and I need to revamp everything, or I'm right and, therefore, need to write something that will blow his mind to prove it. It's beautiful. To the untrained ear, it may sound like bickering. In reality, it's the most helpful exchange I think I've ever had when it comes to my writing.
So, in the words of Matt Keeslar in my current favorite episode of Dollhouse, shoulder to the wheel; which I think is like "nose to the grindstone," which I think means I'm gonna go get some s**t done.

2 comments:

James said...

If there's anything I've learned in Costa Rica, it's to not be bothered so much by swearing. Just write the word...or just write mierda, that's pretty cool too.

Okay so that's not all I'm learning...I promise.

the CoR said...

Hahaha. Welllllll, I'm not a big fan of the ol' "s-word," but I do like the look of asterisks. ;o)